Our office is open for business! However, to combat COVID-19, we ask that you continue using phone and email as much as possible. Please contact us at 972-497-1017
We Will Fight For Your Dream. Call Today. 972.497.1017
Fighting for a Secure Future For You and Your Family

Victims of Domestic Violence Attorneys

Understanding the Provisions of VAWA

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) was amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) to allow abused spouses, children, or parents to apply for an immigrant visa petition. If you believe you may qualify for this status, contact Nathan Christensen P.C. Our Carrollton attorneys have helped many victims of family violence apply for visas to better their lives.

To learn more about your eligibility, please call (972) 497-1017 to discuss your situation.

VAWA Provisions in the INA

The VAWA provisions of the INA allow certain abused family members of U.S. citizens and permanent residents to file an immigrant visa petition. The petition can be filed without the abuser’s knowledge, which offers an added level of safety and independence for the victim of abuse.

Determining Eligibility for Abuse Victimsundefined

Although VAWA stands for the Violence Against Women Act, the provisions in the law apply equally to applicants who are male or female. The law was passed to help immigrants who may feel trapped in an abusive relationship as a result of their immigration status. If you are the victim of domestic violence and your spouse is threatening to call immigration officials if you leave, it is important to know that you have options. Our immigration attorneys in Carrollton can explain the law, as it pertains to your situation.

Individuals who are eligible to file include:

  • Spouses – Abused spouses of U.S. citizens or permanent residents may file and spouses with children abused by their U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouses. If you have unmarried children under the age of 21, they can be included in your petition.
  • Children – Unmarried children under 21 can apply for themselves if they were abused by a parent who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. A child may file after age 21, but before age 25, if they can demonstrate that the abuse resulted in the delay in filing. Children may also be included in your petition.
  • Parents – Individuals who have been abused by their U.S. citizen sons or daughters are eligible to file.

It is important to get sound legal advice and learn about your legal options. Abusers often use immigration status to prevent victims from leaving, so many believe they are trapped. Let us help you determine if you qualify for immigrant status under the provisions of VAWA.

In the meantime, help is available from the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224 (TDD). The hotline can provide you with information about shelters, legal advice, filing for immigrant status, mental healthcare, and other types of assistance that may be available.

If you have been a victim of domestic violence by a spouse or parent, we encourage you to contact us today at (972) 497-1017 to schedule an initial consultation.

“I’ve been working on various immigration requirements for the better part of 10 years now & I can say with absolute certainty that Nathan is the best lawyer I’ve encountered within that time (and I’ve met a few). Right from the beginning he made sure I understood my rights and the road ahead, providing a step-by-step guide to make my applications go as smoothly as possible. He was always available to meet and discuss my case, while also staying in contact via email/phone if I couldn’t make it in. Thanks to Nate I now have my Permanent Residency established and I look forward to returning to him in the near future to begin applying for Citizenship.”

- Eric N.
Contact Us
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.