Military Service Can Lead To Citizenship

american flag and army camo

If you are a permanent resident and you enter the U.S. military, you may be eligible for citizenship based on your service. As part of our immigration services in Dallas, Nathan Christensen P.C. can give you information and help if you decide to seek naturalized citizenship while in the military or after you’ve separated from the military. Before you call our office for an appointment, here is some important information you need to know:

General Requirements

Your qualifying military service must generally be in (or have been in) the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and some components of the National Guard and the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve. Some of the requirements for citizenship may be waived or diminished if you are a qualifying service member; but all service members must demonstrate good moral character, knowledge of the English language, knowledge of U.S. government and history and they must take an Oath of Allegiance.

Naturalization During Peacetime

You may qualify for naturalization during peacetime if you served honorably in the U.S. military for at least one year, have obtained lawful permanent resident status and have filed an application for citizenship while you are still in the service or within 6 months of separating from the service. Our immigration services in Dallas can explain what you need to know about Section 328 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), which is applicable to you.

Naturalization During Time of Hostilities

If you serve or have served honorably in the U.S. military during authorized periods of conflict, defined in Section 329 of the INA, you may file for immediate citizenship. No fees will be required and you will be able to complete the naturalization process overseas at U.S. embassies, consulates and at some military installations.

When Citizenship Can Be Revoked

If you obtain U.S. citizenship based on your military service and your separation from the military occurs under ‘other than honorable’ conditions before you’ve completed 5 years of honorable service, your citizenship may be revoked.

In addition to your naturalization, your spouse may be eligible for expedited naturalization if you are deployed or are scheduled for deployment. Also, if you die as a result of service in the U.S. military during a period of hostilities, your next of kin can apply for posthumous citizenship for you, which will enable your spouse, children or parents to receive immigration benefits. To get all of the information you need to proceed with your naturalization, get help from Nathan Christensen P.C. Call us at (972) 497-1017 to learn more about our immigration services in Dallas.

Related Posts
  • USCIS Increases Automatic Extension Period for Certain Work Permits - April 2024 Read More
  • Your US Citizenship Interview at Immigration Services in Dallas, TX Read More
  • Debunking 3 Myths About US Citizenship and Immigration Services Read More