Dallas TX Area Immigration Lawyer Discusses Extending B Visas

american flag

Non-immigration B visas, commonly referred to as a tourist visa, is issued to foreign nationals entering the United States for a temporary period. Technically, a B visa can be classified as either B-1, for business purposes or B-2, for tourism or other non-business purposes. In practice, however, B visas are often merged and issued as a “B1/B2 visa” that can be used for business, tourism, or a combination of the two. Just like other non-immigrant visas, a B1/B2 visa has a limited validity period of somewhere between one to ten years, with one or multiple allowances into the U.S. consisting of entry periods of three to six months.

If you wish to remain in the country for longer than six months, you will be required to complete a request with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), which USCIS must receive on or before the expiration date on your authorizes stay. Requests must include information such as a statement explaining why you wish to extend your stay, a copy of your passport and I-94 form, a valid birth certificate and other additional paperwork and information regarding the details of your extended stay in the country. In some cases, it is beneficial to include statements from friends or family who are providing housing, food, or any other resources that will support your continued presence in the country.

Since these visas have strict expiration dates, it is important to stay up-to-date and informed about the processes through which you can extend your stay in the United States. If you stay past your designated departure date without filing the correct extension paperwork, you may be subject to harsh immigration penalties. Immigration laws are complex and subject to change at any time, so it is critical that you consult an immigration lawyer to review your options and ensure you complete all requirements adequately.

The information in this post serves as a general guideline and does not intend to serve as legal advice. All individual situations will vary based on circumstances, and you should discuss your situation with a professional. At the Law Office of Nathan Nathan Christensen P.C., we want to provide those in the Dallas TX area with guidance and information concerning visa extensions. To determine when and how to apply for B visa or B visa extension, contact our office to set up an appointment. We are available online at https://immigrationlawyerdallastx.com or give us a call at (972) 497-1017.

Related Posts
  • What the Upcoming Expiration of Title 42 Means Read More
  • USCIS Policy Revisions from January 2023 Read More
  • USCIS Updates Maximum Validity Periods for EADs for Certain Applicants Read More