The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced recently the extension and redesignation of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Afghans for 18 months. This redesignation will allow newly eligible Afghans to submit first-time applications for temporary protection if they were residing in the United States before Sept. 20, 2023.
- Re-registration is limited to individuals who previously registered for and were granted TPS under Afghanistan’s prior designation.
- Current beneficiaries under TPS for Afghanistan must re-register in a timely manner during the 60-day re-registration period from Sept. 25, 2023, through Nov. 24, 2023, to ensure they keep their TPS and employment authorization.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will issue new Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) with a May 20, 2025, expiration date to eligible Afghan TPS beneficiaries who timely re-register and apply for EADs.
- DHS will automatically extend the validity of certain EADs previously issued under the TPS designation of Afghanistan through Nov. 20, 2024.
- Individuals with Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status, or a related Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, pending as of Sept. 25, 2023, do not need to file either application again. If USCIS approves a pending Form I-821 or Form I-765 filed under the previous designation of TPS for Afghanistan, USCIS will grant the individual TPS and issue an EAD valid through May 20, 2025.
- New applicants, New applicants may submit an initial Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status, during the initial registration period that runs from Sept. 25, 2023, through May 20, 2025. Applicants also may apply for TPS-related EADs and other TPS related benefits. Applicants can request an EAD by submitting a completed Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with their Form I-821, or separately later.
Christensen Immigration Attorneys has many resources available for Afghans navigating TPS, asylum, advanced parole, and the Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) process. Give us a call: (972) 497-1017.