We Will Fight For Your Dream. Call Today. 972.497.1017
Fighting for a Secure Future For You and Your Family

Visas for Religious Workers

Employment Immigration Attorneys in Carrollton

The foundation for the immigration law firm of Nathan Christensen P.C. started with the two years Attorney Nathan Christensen spent living in Honduras and working as a volunteer with his church. Due to this experience, we hold a special place in our hearts for people interested in coming to the United States as religious workers. We enjoy the blessings that come from helping individuals obtain religious worker visas.

Our lawyers can help you determine if this type of visa is available for your situation. Call (972) 497-1017 for an initial consultation.

Temporary R-1 Visa Requirementsundefined

There are two ways to come to the U.S. as a religious worker, including a temporary visa and permanent residency. To be eligible for a temporary visa, a foreign national must be temporarily employed by a religious organization or an organization affiliated with a U.S. religious denomination. The person must be working as a minister or in a religious occupation. The denomination must have been a member of a legitimate non-profit religious organization in the United States for a minimum of 2 years prior to filing a petition for a temporary R-1 visa. The religious workers' spouse and children younger than 21 may also come to the U.S. on an R-2 visa.

Petitioning through a Religious Organization for Permanent Residence

Ministers and others working in religious occupations may be granted permanent residency for the purpose of performing full-time religious work. In order to qualify, the position must be compensated, full-time, and the foreign national must meet other eligibility requirements.

A full-time compensated position includes:

  • A minister of the religious organization of which he or she is a member
  • In a professional or nonprofessional capacity in a religious vocation
  • In a professional or nonprofessional religious occupation

Prior to applying for either visa, your church should gather any information needed to prove it is a legitimate religious organization and has the ability to provide the required compensation. Those applying for either visa often seek the assistance of an experienced Carrollton visa attorney. We have successfully obtained many religious worker visas for our clients.

We encourage you to contact us at (972) 497-1017 to learn if your church qualifies for religious worker visas.

“I’ve been working on various immigration requirements for the better part of 10 years now & I can say with absolute certainty that Nathan is the best lawyer I’ve encountered within that time (and I’ve met a few). Right from the beginning he made sure I understood my rights and the road ahead, providing a step-by-step guide to make my applications go as smoothly as possible. He was always available to meet and discuss my case, while also staying in contact via email/phone if I couldn’t make it in. Thanks to Nate I now have my Permanent Residency established and I look forward to returning to him in the near future to begin applying for Citizenship.”

- Eric N.
Contact Us
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.