How Do I Qualify for an H-1B Visa?

American flag and passport

If you are a specialty worker and you meet certain requirements and immigration regulations, you might be eligible for an H-1B Visa. In this blog, we explain what you need to know about qualifying for an H-1B Visa and how our law firm can assist you.

What Are the Basic Requirements?

If you are seeking an H-1B Visa, you must be coming to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation. Specialty occupations include jobs that require the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge. Most specialty occupations require a bachelor’s degree or advanced degree.

Examples of occupations that qualify for an H-1B Visa include:

  • Accountants
  • Architects
  • Artists
  • Chemists
  • Chiropractors
  • Computer Systems Analysts
  • Dieticians
  • Engineers
  • Librarians
  • Medical Technologists
  • Pharmacists
  • Physical Therapists
  • Upper-Level Business Managers

You must also have a have a job offer from an American employer for work that will be performed in the United States. The wages that you have been offered by the employer must be similar to the wages made by workers in the same field or job. Your employer must also file a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) before your visa application can be processed.

What Are the Education & Degree Requirements?

To qualify for an H1-B Visa, your education and work experience must meet one of the following criteria:

  • You have a bachelor's degree, master’s degree, or the foreign equivalent from your country, or
  • You have 12 years of work experience. Work experience can be substituted for a bachelor's or master’s degree, or
  • You can mix your experience between your education and work background.

To determine if you qualify for an H1-B Visa, USCIS will use a 12 point scale to review your eligibility. Every year of university/college that you attended will be equal to 3 points. Every year of your previous work experience will equal 1 point. You must have 12 points to qualify for the visa.

Speak to an Immigration Lawyer Today

At Nathan Christensen P.C., we are committed to helping clients throughout Coppell with their immigration matters. From visa cases to deportation cases, our law firm has the skills and resources that you need to obtain a fair result. We can review your situation and build a strong case strategy that will ensure your rights and interests are fully protected. Let us get to work for you today.

Call (972) 497-1017 to schedule your low-cost case consultation with an immigration attorney in Coppell.

Related Posts
  • H-1B Visa Denial Rates Return to Pre-Trump Levels Read More
  • USCIS Creates Wage-Based Selection Process for H-1B Visas Read More
  • How to Get a Fiancé Visa and Reunite in the U.S. Read More