Ask An Immigration Attorney About The Naturalization Ceremony

american flag

Naturalization Ceremony FAQ

Any immigration attorney in the Fort Worth, TX area can tell you that there is nothing more satisfying for an immigrant to the United States than going through the process of naturalization and finally becoming a U.S. citizen. Though the road to citizenship can be long and difficult, the end result is worth the effort. If you are nearing the end of your journey to U.S. citizenship and your application for naturalization has been approved and you have passed your citizenship interview, you should know that there is one very important step that must be taken before you can legally become a U.S. citizen – taking the Oath of Allegiance to the United States at a naturalization ceremony.

Here are some questions often asked of an immigration attorney about the naturalization ceremony:

What Happens At A Naturalization Ceremony?

At the naturalization ceremony, you will swear an Oath of Allegiance to the United States and you will receive your naturalization certificate. Once you receive this certificate, you will be a legal citizen of the United States will all of the rights and privileges of U.S. citizenship, including holding a U.S. passport and voting in all national and local elections.

You will:

  • Check-in -- please arrive at least 30 minutes before the ceremony
  • Return your permanent resident card
  • Answer some questions about what you have done since your USCIS interview (on the back of Form N-445)
  • Take the oath of allegiance
  • Receive your Certificate of Naturalization

It is recommended that you then go to the Social Security Administration office to update your record after the ceremony.

What Should I Wear to the Naturalization Ceremony?

The naturalization ceremony is a meaningful, solemn event. Please dress appropriately to respect the event -- do not wear jeans, shorts, or flip flops.

How Long does the Oath Ceremony Take?

The ceremony takes about 30 - 40 minutes. Be aware that the time noted on the Form N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony is when you are supposed to check in, not the start of the ceremony.

When And Where Will The Naturalization Ceremony Be Held?

When you’ll be able to take your Oath of Allegiance depends on the naturalization ceremony schedule. Many times, applicants can take the oath on the same day they pass their citizenship interview. Sometimes, they must wait weeks or months. The ceremony can take place at just about any kind of venue including a conference room or courtroom in a federal or state building or in a stadium or a historical landmark. If you can’t make it to your scheduled naturalization ceremony, you must notify the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office.

What Should I Bring To The Naturalization Ceremony?

You will have to bring your Form N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony. This form, which you’ll receive sometime before the ceremony, will inform you of the other items you need to bring including your permanent resident (or green) card, your children if they have been approved for U.S. naturalization, and any immigration documents requested by the USCIS.

What Am I Pledging To Do By Taking The Oath Of Allegiance?

Taking the Oath of Allegiance means you will be pledging to renounce any other allegiance you may have to any foreign nations that you may once have been a citizen of. You will also declare that you will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and you will agree to bear arms on behalf of the United States, perform noncombatant service in the U.S. Armed Forces or perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required to do so by law. If you are a conscientious objector, you may be allowed to take a modified Oath of Allegiance, which leaves out the pledge to bear arms or join the Armed Forces.

Contact a Fort Worth Naturalization Lawyer Today

Find out more about becoming a citizen of the United States by calling an experienced naturalization attorney in the Fort Worth, TX area, Nathan Christensen, at The Law Office of Nathan Christensen P.C. at (972) 497-1017. You can also visit our website to find out more about immigrating to the United States.

Related Posts
  • The U.S. Government Extend TPS Re-Registration Periods for El Salvador, Honduras, Haiti, Nicaragua, Nepal and Sudan. Read More
  • Big News for People from Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras Who Have Approved Petitions Read More
  • New Public Charge Rule is Now in Effect Read More