The Three Types of Eligible Student US Visas and What They Mean


Looking to study in the US? There are three types of US visas available to students, each with different restrictions.

  1. F1 visas are the most common student visa. Students must maintain a full-time course load and can work part-time, but only on campus.
  2. J1 visas are for “practical training” in a work study-type program. Students are allowed to work but only with special permission given by the program sponsor.
  3. M1 visas are for technical and vocational training. M1 visa holders are not allowed to work and must provide proof that they have the available funds to pay all tuition and living expenses for the duration of the program.

If you have questions applying for your student visa, or what US visas to apply for, call the Law Office of Nathan Christensen PC in the Dallas, TX, area at (972) 497-1017.

Related Posts
  • What the Upcoming Expiration of Title 42 Means Read More
  • USCIS Policy Revisions from January 2023 Read More
  • USCIS Updates Maximum Validity Periods for EADs for Certain Applicants Read More