The ABCs Of Studying In The United States

student in geography class

If you or someone you know is considering studying in the United States, it’s important to consult with an immigration lawyer in the Dallas TX area. Studying at a school, college, university, or other academic (or non-academic) institution requires more than just a letter of acceptance; it requires a student visa. Obtaining a student visa is a multi-step process that an immigration lawyer in the Dallas TX area can help you through.

There are three different types of visas issued for studying in the United States:

1. The F-1 student visa is the most common visa issued to foreign nationals who want to study in the U.S. It is issued to students who want to study at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, private secondary school, or at an approved English language institute. Your course of study must culminate in a degree, diploma, or certificate.

2. The M-1 student visa is issued to students who participate in non-academic or vocational courses of study or training in the U.S.

3. The J-1 exchange visa is the least common type of student visa and is for foreigners who participate in a student exchange program at either the high school or college level.

Some of the most important things you need to know about the F-1 and M-1 student visas are that you must maintain a residence in your home country that you do not intend to give up, you must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses that will lead to a proficiency in English and you must show that you can support yourself financially while in the U.S. This is important because there are many restrictions on foreign students who want to work while studying. Your immigration lawyer in the Dallas TX area can explain all of these restrictions and how they apply to you.

After you’ve chosen the school you’d like to attend, you must apply for admission. If you are accepted, the school will send you an I-20 form that you must present to the U.S. consular office at your visa interview. Before your interview, you must go online to complete a Form DS-160, which is a non-immigrant visa application. Once your interview is scheduled, be prepared to produce a number of documents that include your passport, photo, application fee payment receipt, and a certificate of eligibility for non-immigrant student status (I-20 A-B for F-1 student visa seekers or I-20 M-N for M-1 student visa seekers). Depending on your unique situation, you may be asked to produce other documents during or after your interview.

Once your visa is approved, you may still have questions. That’s why you need the help of an immigration lawyer in the Dallas TX area who has experience with student visas. At The Christensen Law Firm in Dallas, we can help you to understand the process and the steps involved. We can also help you to negotiate problems that may come up after you’ve begun your studies in the United States. Call us at The Christensen Law Firm at (972) 497-1017 or visit us online at to schedule an appointment to discuss student visas.

Related Posts
  • USCIS Increases Automatic Extension Period for Certain Work Permits - April 2024 Read More
  • TPS Beneficiaries Need to Re-register for TPS soon! Read More
  • Immigration Attorney Approved Tips To Handle the Immigration Process Read More